Civic group to celebrate 70th anniversary of S. Korea
时间:2023-12-09 07:09:01 出处:영화阅读（143）
The America-Korea United Society (AKUS), a New Jersey-based civic group, said Thursday it will hold an event in the United States to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the South Korea-US alliance.
AKUS said the ceremony will be held at the Fort Lee Community Center in New Jersey at 5 p.m. on Oct. 1 (US time) under the theme of "We Go Together."
South Korea and the US signed the Mutual Defense Treaty, a bedrock alliance document, in Washington, D.C., on Oct. 1, 1953, three months after the 1950-53 Korean War ended in a truce, not a peace treaty.
"Participants will look back on the history of the seven decades-long alliance and discuss joint efforts to achieve liberal democracy and market economy," an AKUS official said.
Bernard Champoux, formerly a three-star commander of the US Eighth Army in South Korea, will deliver a keynote speech on the alliance between Seoul and Washington, AKUS said.
AKUS is a nonprofit independent organization dedicated to promoting democracy in Korea and the US. (Yonhap)
- [Today’s K
- 김건희 여사, 광주디자인비엔날레 찾아 “문화예술계 육성 의지”
- 'Frasier' returns to TV but you don't need to be a superfan of the original to laugh at its jokes
- Four days of jazz festivities take over Jara Island
- 北, 러시아 외무장관 방북 발표…내달 18~19일 방문
- 33년 경찰 경력 내세워…“안심구청장 누구입니까”
- Cheongju Craft Biennale stresses connection with nature, Jikji legacy
- Satellite imagery highlights 'dramatic' increase in N. Korea
- HiteJinro to produce soju in Vietnam